Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Contact: Disney style

Greetings once aga-was that a yellow butterfly??

Oooh, I think it was!!

Spring is starting to get into full swing here. The weather's getting nicer, although it's still kind of chilly, and everywhere the grass is starting to turn green and thick. On Sunday, just a few days ago, the temperature was actually in the low 80s! That was pretty crazy. Sitting in the car with my Dad, I discovered I wanted the air conditioner on. Haven't had to do that in a while, lol.

As promised, I'm back to write about the little bits of Disney experiences in my life. Looking back over the past couple of entries, it's kind of sad to see that, after coming back home, my writing just kind of fell off. I didn't even really write about the day that I got home! I've been pondering the notion of going back to the beginning, and filling in any holes or any missing information that I can (and remember accurately, so you know that won't be tons lol). I mean, that was my Disney experience, right? It only seems proper to write it down.

But enough of this chit-chat, yip-yap, and flim-flam, let's get on with the stories!

The first thing I want to write about happened exactly six months ago to the day. No, I don't have some super amazing memory. Yes, I have a planner with a note written in it, lol. Regretfully, because I don't have that super amazing memory, I'm not 1,000% sure on the details, but here's what I got:

Six months ago, it was October, and I was outside in my car on my lunch break. I had been working as a temp at my office for about a month-and-a-half at this time, and I was getting worried because initially, I had been told that it was only a 2-3 month job. That meant that either at the end of October or the end of November, I was going to have to look for another job. This made me a little worried, because I had done no research into any other jobs, or a career like I really wanted. If I recall correctly, I happened to notice there was a voicemail on my phone. I listened to it, and from the few lines of notes I had written down, this is what I think happened -

I got a call from Anitra from the Casting Center telling me that my seasonal transfer had been approved. I was going to be transfered to Fantasyland(!) merchandise. I would need to be at Disney starting November 7th, and would have to stay for the full period of the season, until January 22nd. And if I can remember right, I don't think they absolutely needed me to have full availability, but I pretty much had to be available days, nights, weekends, and holidays.

The first part of that phone call THRILLED me. Oh boy did it ever. Transfered to Fantasyland? No more Mouse Gear? I could just picture myself, standing in the Dwarves' Mine (or whatever it's called), gazing with all the people as the LOUD fireworks from the castle shot off overhead. Imagine! Working in the Magic Kingdom and finally knocking off working in all four parks! And I'd be right across from the Fantasyland expansion construction! I could watch them work, and if they weren't doing anything I could see over the walls, well I could always look backstage too as I took the bus back to Westclock.

But then, the other part hit me. November 7th through January 22nd? What did they mean by that? My current seasonal situation said I come down when I can, work when I can, and there ya go - still with the company! Did this mean I'd have to go down to Florida all that time?

Luckily, Anitra had left her number, and so, with lunch minutes ticking away, I called her back to find out what was going on. It turns out, according to her, the seasonal requirements for each location are different. So while Mouse Gear has their set of requirements, a merchandise role in Fantasyland would in fact require me to be free for over two whole months. I was trying to picture this in my mind - having to move back down to Florida, needing to find SOMEWHERE I could stay for just two months (and that I could afford too). Working in Fantasyland during the holiday season (especially Christmas and New Year). Suddenly, this job opportunity wasn't seeming so much like the solution to the end of my temp job. In fact, November 7th, depending on when my temp job was over, I might actually have to leave that job earlier than expected so I could make it to Florida.

It was all so thrilling and hopeful, and crazy too. But one thing seemed pretty clear: much as I loved Disney, I didn't think it was right to be forced into a two month TEMPORARY work situation with them. But did I have a choice in the matter? I asked Anitra, and she said that I could decline the transfer, no problem. However, in doing so, I would be using up my one transfer opportunity for the next six months. I'd have to wait that long before I could try to transfer again.

And so, I declined. She pretty much said "Ok" and ended the call. And I had to rush to get back inside to work.

It was depressing, just a little bit. I mean, not that there were tons of hourly roles I wanted in the first place, but it had been so cool to think that I might be working in the Magic Kingdom, and that I might be switching locations. But to be forced down there for two months? That wouldn't have worked for me, not at that time.

I was also confused, and honestly, I still am today. When I went to Casting, near the end of my program, I had applied for jobs at Disney, but I had applied for FULL-TIME jobs, not seasonal. I was looking to get into attractions or merchandise or that haha-no floral job. Sure, I had to drop attractions in favor of floral, since I could only apply for two jobs at one time, but they were all permanent, they were all full time. So why the heck did Anitra say my transfer was approved for a seasonal job? I still don't know.

But after everything was done, I flipped ahead six months in my planner and wrote a reminder that I was now able to apply to transfer again. I really have to think about it, as now I know there are the surprise different requirements for each location, and probably role, but I'm happy to have the option again, I really am.

Oh, and in looking at my planner from back in October, just a week later it was October 20th and I was marking my two-year anniversary since I took my first vacation to Walt Disney World. And apparently, this was also the first day I was getting trained to do mail. What a day that was! But wow, two years? It's amazing what's happened, and what I've done Disney-wise since then.

That's my first Disney story. I've still got a few more updates in store, but I've got plenty of other things that require my attention. I'll try to get back here again within the next week or two to do another round of updates. But in the meantime, join me in celebrating being able to finally Disney-job hunt again.

Hourly and full-time jobs, weee!!

No comments:

Post a Comment